While there are kayak, canoe and boat rentals that let you explore the five nearby mountain lakes at a leisurely pace, it’s the whitewater rafting trips that draw more than 20,000 tourists each year with the promise of fun and adventure. The Chattooga River, classified as a national wild and scenic river in 1974, is one of the few remaining free-flowing streams in the Southeast. Group rafting trips or individual canoe or kayaking trips promise wet thrills along the river’s class III, IV and V rapids.
Find the outfitter to guide you through your whitewater adventure or just find the gear to create your own. Either way, memories of your paddling adventure will last a lifetime.
- Southeastern Expeditions: Section IV has many rapids. Motor tow across 2 mile lake. Section III trip ideal for novices. Outpost 7 miles east of Clayton on Hwy. 76. Reservations. (706)782-4331or (800)868-7238.
- Nantahala Outdoor Center: Whitewater rafting on a choice of five rivers. Half-day, full-day, and overnight trips available. Levels II through IV. (800)232-7238.
- Wildwood Outfitters: Canoeing, rafting, kayaking, and tubing along the Chattahoochee River. All your outdoor needs available at a retail store. (800)553-2715 or (706)865-4451
- Wildwater Ltd: Whitewater rafting on the Chattooga, Nantahala, Ocoee and Pigeon Rivers with Wildwater Ltd. 35 years of whitewater experience on Southeastern USA rivers. (800) 451-9972
- Carolina Outfitters:
Guide-in-Boat, Guide Assisted, or Non-Guided whitewater rafting trips on the popular and scenic Nantahala River, Inflatable Funyak/Ducky rentals, excellent equipment, friendly staff, and comfortable facilities. Great low prices and group rates available. Combine our rafting with gemstone mining, horseback riding, and scenic train tours. Fully furnished vacation rentals available. Convenient to all area attractions. (800)468-7238 or (800)468-7238
- Primitive Outback, Inc.:
We offer leisurely kayak trips down the Little Tennessee River. The trips are 2 1/2 -3 hours long and we supply you with all equipment needed. We also have Flume Gem Mining and River Gem Mining in a nature setting along the Little Tennessee River. We're located 4 miles from the Georgia border on Hwy 441/23 north and 6 miles south from Franklin, NC, and are open March - November 10:00am - 6:00pm, Mon. - Sun. (828)349-1717
- Chattooga River Resort & Campground : Chattooga Whitewater Outfitters offers equipment rentals and non-guided trips on the Chattooga River. Chattooga Whitewater Outfitters 14239 Hwy 76 (Long Creek Hwy) Long Creek, SC 29658 Phone: (864)647-9083